Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Lo-ammi?

Why have people1 named their sons Lo-ammi? Haven't they understood that that lovely, distinctive Hebrew handle comes vertiginously near meaning "not my child"?2 Y'gotta be careful how you borrow stuff from the Holy Scriptures, whichever version you may espouse.

Well, "Exalting Grace" bears my name, 'cause I wrote it down. In a deeper sense, though, I have to confess that it's not my child. It isn't very original, and I wouldn't dare claim otherwise. I put borrowed words to a borrowed tune, distorting each as little and as lovingly as possible. Much closer to the self-effacing Shaker model than to contemporary self-promoting authorship, although in 1978 I hadn't yet encountered the Shakers, and I'm not particularly averse to recognition.

The sheet music lists 37 Scriptural passages from which I've borrowed, explicitly and gratefully. Each reports an utterance of the God3 I worship.

Most come from the Bible (5 Old Testament, 18 New, King James Version), with 7 from the Book of Mormon and another 7 from the Doctrine and Covenants. Doctrinally, there's little4 here that should bother any committed follower of Jesus Christ.

It has already a significant and (thus far) durable place in my private devotions. Ultimately, that's enough. But if others can find it congenial to their own spiritual life, that's an extra blessing. Some of you have been kind enough to say so.

Apart from authorship and credits and such, the other question that keeps popping up has to do with my Church's “Green Book”:5 By sharing “my hymn” in this modern manner, am I angling to obtain for it the kind of approved-for-worship imprimatur that the 341 pieces in that volume enjoy?

Complicated question. I'd be pleased and (yes, however inappropriately) flattered beyond measure if anything of the sort were to happen. I'd also be surprised, inasmuch as “Exalting Grace” deviates from the Green-Book pattern6 in some possibly-salient ways:

  • It's long (but so are some in the Book).
  • It's set to a folk tune (but so are some in the Book).
  • It doesn't conform to the amateur-Victorian-art-music tradition that has become something between customary and obligatory with us, ever since the days when we were all amateurs and Victorians in mountainous isolation, some with artistic talents and more with artistic pretensions.
  • It presents God as speaking to us in the first person.

Turns out that last point takes this piece farther out of the Green-Book main stream than you might think. Even though the Scriptures are full of wonderful quotes attributed to the Lord:


Please argue with me about individual hymns, if you wish. But the pattern's pretty clear, and (as sampling statisticians are wont to insist) small errors of allocation seldom make much difference:

The first person doesn't appear to be forbidden, but few of our hymn-wrights (and, it seems, few of those from whom we've borrowed) have seized the opportunity. Do we feel it would be presumptuous on our part to speak or sing with His voice? I find it hard to square that notion with the Latter-day Saint doctrine of Priesthood. In other theologies, perhaps, but not in ours.




Changing gears abruptly, I need to mention a brand-new realization. It dates to last evening, when Laura and her kids were kind enough to try to sing three verses of “Exalting Grace” around Maggie-on-the-piano. It became obvious that I don't sing it to the exact version of the (monodic) tune that I put in the sheet music.

Debbie and I, moreover, have harmonized on this and similar pieces since she was four years old (1978, interestingly enough), mostly in the car and mostly on New England highways. As you can hear in the MP3, a two-part arrangement lends it some intensity.

If anybody were to wish to push this thing any further than the obscurity of a blog, there'd be more work to be done on it.


1Not many, to be sure, but some distinguished ones. Colonel Loammi Baldwin of Woburn, Massachusetts, for example, ranks among the honored heroes of our Revolution.
2Hosea 1:8-9.
3Father, Son, or Holy Ghost.
4Verse 7 does state one central bit of Mormon doctrine that some might find controversial. If you don't like the source or the substance of a verse, please feel free to skip it. The rest will stand alone, and Heaven knows the angel gave us enough verses.
5Hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Salt Lake City, Utah: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1985.
6Some would call it a “standard.” On my stronger days, I'd be tempted to argue with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment